Japan 2014 post 41

November twelfth
This morning I got up bright and early, although I must’ve drifted off a bit, because I just lay on my side holding my iPad for ten minutes without realizing it. When I got out of bed, I had a shower, did my devotional, and had breakfast. Catherine and I both had a bowl of yogurt, berries, and granola. And I had a mikkan. Catherine took Ayana to the tennis court today, so I got Atsushi dressed instead. After Catherine came home I lay down for a while (6:30 is hard, even though I go to bed at 10). When I roused myself I’d did a nice workout, then read a few of the Japanese journal entries. Didn’t write one today because we were going to Costco. For Catherine, going to Costco is sort of on all day job. I takes 30 minutes to an hour to get there, depending on the traffic, then there’s the shopping, drive home, and sorting, repackaging (most of the stuff is in bulk), and freezing. On the drive I mostly read, and talked to Catherine, but at one point I acted as an extra pair of eyes, and waved to a trucker who let us through. It wasn’t much, but he smiled and waved back, and it felt really nice.
I’ve only been to Costco one or two times in Canada, and I don’t remember much from it. But this time left an impression. Everything was big! The shopping cart, escalators (they were big enough that you took your shopping cart on them, because they didn’t have steps), ceiling heights, and of course the food was in bulk. And there were so many people! Even with all the space, it wasn’t really enough. And Catherine said today was good, sometimes it’s cart to cart gridlock. But there was a lot of cool food, and other stuff. We mostly bought food, and enough to freeze and last awhile. I hung out with Atsushi lots while Catherine went around to get stuff. It was easier for her this way because she didn’t have to maneuver a cart. Ats and I had a good time together.
When our shopping mission was done, we celebrated with a hotdog and drink to eat on the road. When we got home (the entire trip took about four and a half hours), our job still wasn’t quite done. I helped Catherine repackage, and prepare the food for freezing. Once that was done, I picked Ayana up. She was out early today, so I jogged half of the way there. More for fun than anything else though. Then Ayana and I jogged part of the way home too. I ran with her bags for a little while, and realized how much weight she’s carrying (and running with) everyday. I told her to eat lots of veggies, drink lots of milk, run with that bag on, and she’d be super healthy and strong. She thought so too.
Later in the afternoon I did my blog post, then Hoshino San came over for his English lesson. He, Catherine, and I basically just had a conversation together. We covered lots of subjects: exercise, travel, Hoshino San, food, and plans for the next little while. It was really nice.
During the afternoon I had a few of these really yummy little buns from Costco. Luckily we had bought lots! They’re medium sized, just a teeny bit sweet, and so fluffy! We gave some to Hoshino San, and our neighbours.
Before supper I wrote most of this, and then we ate. I made a really big spinach, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cucumber salad. With spices on top. I’m afraid I sort of butchered the avocado (it was my first time cutting one), but if still tasted good. Catherine prepared us amazing asparagus, garlic, and cinnamon buns, chicken, and cranberry sauce. All of it was great, but especially the chicken and cranberry sauce. It was Catherine’s first time making cranberry sauce, but we both thought it was amazing. I’ve only had cranberry sauce before on one or two occasions, and I didn’t really like it. But this one was sweeter I like, and I loved it. It smelled divine too. Even though it’s not a Christmas tradition at my house, I had to agree with Catherine when she said it smelled like Christmas. I’m not sure quite what it was about it, but I think we might have (or have had) a cranberry scented candle at Christmas… The whole meal was delicious.
Today I had been planning to go to the Edo Museum with Ayako, but unfortunately Sayune got the flu. So understandably we couldn’t. It’s too bad, but I just hope Sayune gets better. But school is still on for tomorrow, and today turned out to be very enjoyable anyways!
Christopher image image image


2 responses to this post.

  1. Posted by ecosophian on November 14, 2014 at 4:38 pm

    What is the Edo Museum? Might you still get a chance to go see it?


    • It’s a really interesting looking museum about Tokyo-Edo history, and I would like to see it, but I don’t think I’ll have a chance. I’ve only got two weeks left, and so much I’d like to do! I really hope I’ll be able to talk to a priest sometime, and see a castle… So much to do and so little time!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: